Quoted from the book Judgment Calls: 12 Stories Of Big Decisions And The Teams That Got Them Right, Chapter 1: NASA STS-119–Should We Launch? Case
In a recent study, Karl Weick and Kathleen Sutcliffe note five attributes of high reliability organization (such as firefighter team, hostage negotiation team, etc. because their price for failure is high):
- Commitment to tracking small failures
- Ability to recognize and understand complex issues
- Real attention to frontline (operational) workers
- Ability to learn from and rebound from errors
- Ability to improvise effective response to crisis
A major barrier they constantly fight to overcome is complacency and arrogance.